Lets face it, consumers nowadays get bored easily! The are always looking for the next big thing and at the same time they have a sharp eye for quality and value in the products and services they buy. With that said, if you are in business you have to be constantly aware of how fickle the consumer can be and always stay ahead of the curve.Â WhichÂ brings me to the poor hairstylist/hair salon who used to have women beating down their door every Saturday morning only to find that women are now choosing to save money by visiting the salon in the nearest bathroom at the house. What does this mean, do you close the door to the salon you spent a fortune building?
Absolutely not! Time to innovate – Here are ten things a stylist/salon can do to drum up some business.
1. If you cant beat em, join em – Get your skills up!, if you are primarily ‘a relaxer’ kind of stylist, learn how to care for natural hair as well. Additionally learn how to cut natural hair in its curly state… The Deva Cut is very popular and there is no shame inÂ ridingÂ that skirt tail… learn how to do it!
2. Do Something they cant do in the Bathroom – I would give you a suggestion but I am not a stylist… (I’m kidding)
Learn how to style hair, I mean really style it… braids, twists, fancy updo’s with added hair or without. Be the stylist that a natural bride would run to and bring all her natural brides maids along for the ride Â – Saturday is now booked solid
3. Make the service an experience – I am not talking about serving wine orÂ champagne (just what we need a drunk stylist with a big jar of chemical relaxer… sigh)
I mean an educational experience, when you are caring for a persons hair tell them what you are doing an why. They might come into the salon like they know everything but hearing it from you with all your expertise and stuff will make them come back
4. Hire a loctician
5. Encourage repeat business by creating a regimen – be upfront about it!.. say ..ok Em, this week we just washed and conditioned but next week I think you could benefit from a good steaming and then we will do a protective style for the next two weeks. After the style gets stale, come back and see me and we can try something else. It may work, it may not, but you plant the seed that tells the person come back again, all the time.
6. Throw a party- Meetups are everything now, have you seen the size of a curly nikki event!?? sweep the floor and get with the program…do a couple demonstrations, cut some hair… expose your salon shamelessly to the public…. winning!
7. Offer Makeovers- Last time I checked Makeup goes with hair, you know when they say ‘ lets go over to hair and makeup’ – This might be a stretch but whoÂ doesn’tÂ like a makeover especially for a special occasion? If Mondays are slow, try having an event called ‘Makeover Monday’ get women in your salon on a Monday how randomly awesome would that be?
8. Don’t be so Brand/Product Oriented – I swear the day I walk into a salon and they offer aÂ GreekÂ yogurt treatment with a side of honey, or a black tea rinse.. I would probably faint – My hands would be clean, IÂ wouldn’tÂ have to do anything but sit and be treated~ oh is this what happiness feels like?~
10. lighten up – Nobody likes a grumpy stylist, always remain professional but YOU are just as important as any service you might offer. Be your normal witty, jokey joke self..that’s always fun!
That’s it! that’s all I have